Sunday, October 7, 2012

Happiness is…..

I have been asked once about miniatures painting. The question was simple - Why did I do it? What does those tiny figures reward me?And why do I love participating in the painting competitions so much it seems like I put all my life’s effort in them? What’s all of this for? After thinking about those questions that were asked, I came to the conclusion. There is only one answer for that – “Happiness”. It is a reward I got from painting, as well as the main reason I paint. Some might asked what pleasure could come out of painting. Well, for me, it’s the joy of doing something I love. The moment of happiness when the piece was done.The exciting journey of learning new techniques to make it all better.And the delight of sharing those experiences with other painters and modelers from across many places.

Entering in the competition and trying to hone my techniques are, however, a different form of happiness. It’s the happiness I got from taking experiences in those comps. It doesn’t matter if I won or not – what matter is that you would have the chances to see other entrants’ works and learned from them. By taking part in these kind of activities, you get the chance to discuss and exchange ideas on your work (and theirs) – seeing something you might have missed out. Exchanging ideas also allow you to see whether or not your works are improving. These sorts of things could be beneficial for making your works better in the future, and it’s not what you could potentially receive from painting alone by yourself. Awards and trophies are, for me, more like a bonus that could make me even happier should I get it. Thus, I try to improve my painting skills not because I want to be better than anyone, but rather a contest against myself. Guess I’m just like other painters who simply want to ‘make their work better’ and be like painters each of us aspires to. By learning from others and adapt the techniques to make them suit your style or experimenting with something you’ve never done, you might make something better or even accomplish something new entirely. And this is the happiness – the pleasure of overcoming your own limits.

All of the above are the main reasons why I love painting as well as why I try to become a better painter. They’re also the reasons I want to share my experiences on my works with others through this blog, as I believe that sharing these knowledge and experiences is one of the important aspects that have made the modeler community thrived like now. It’s also an integral part for making these kinds of hobby (scale-models and miniatures) grow, even at slow pace, in every part of the world. Many modelers and painters have already contributed to this by sharing their techniques and knowledge, whether in the magazines or on the internet. This knowledge pool (especially the web) is readily available for anyone who is interested in our hobby, allowing everyone to study and learn about techniques and ideas to create their own hobby masterpiece without having to try all of them out alone. 

My most recent happiness was rewarded to me as I won the first place in the BaneLegions 2012 Painting Contest by WAMP with my work, Lord of The Gabrax. It is the most valuable prize I've ever won in my entire life. It was a great pleasure and I was so proud of it. Many thanks to WAMP and BaneLegions for organizing the event, the prize and all the experiences I received from the event will surely be motivation for creating better works in the future.
This piece of work was featured on the cover of Portal Magazine (issue 26) by WAMP, Which is an online monthly magazine about miniatures. It contains useful articles such as tutorials, painting techniques, reviews, and latest news. You can view the details of the magazine and download a free copy [HERE]

That is all about happiness I got from painting miniatures and reasons why I love this hobby. It feels great to have people commented and share their thoughts on my works, plus it is a joy to share these knowledge and techniques to people who are interested. Since there's no limit in learning, there will always be happiness in painting miniatures for me. The motivation that will keep me going... until the day I couldn't paint anymore. :)

Happy Modelling to all of you. :) 
(Translated by Krittadhi Boonvichitr (Independent Translator) 

Courtesy of Portal Magazine


เคยมีคนถามผมว่า ผมทำโมเดลไปเพื่ออะไร โมเดลมันให้อะไรกับผม ทำไมถึงได้ชอบส่งงานเข้าประกวดและพยายามทุ่มเทกับมันมากขนาดนี้ ทั้งหมดนี้ผมทำไปเพื่ออะไร ? หลังจากที่ได้คิดทบทวนและตรึกตรองดู คำตอบเดียวที่ผมพบสำหรับคำถามเหล่านี้คือ “ ความสุข “ เป็นสิ่งที่ผมได้รับและเป็นจุดประสงค์ในการทำโมเดลของผม แล้วความสุขที่ได้จากการทำโมเดลมันคืออะไร สำหรับผมแล้ว มันคือความสุขที่เราได้ทำในสิ่งที่เรารัก ความสุขที่ได้เห็นเวลางานที่ทำอยู่นั้นเสร็จสมบูรณ์ ความสุขที่ได้เรียนรู้สิ่งใหม่ๆและเห็นผลงานตัวเองพัฒนาขึ้น และความสุขที่ได้แบ่งปันประสบการณ์ในการทำงานกับผู้อื่น ทั้งจากการเป็นผู้รับและเป็นผู้ให้
ส่วนการส่งผลงานเข้าร่วมประกวดและการที่ต้องการพยายามพัฒนาผลงานของตัวเองนั้น มันเป็นความสุขในอีกรูปแบบหนึ่ง คือความสุขที่ได้รับจากประสบการณ์ที่ผมได้เข้าร่วมในการประกวดต่างๆ ความสุขนี้ไม่ได้เกิดจากการได้หรือไม่ได้รางวัล แต่เกิดจากการได้เห็นและเรียนรู้จากงานของผู้เข้าร่วมคนอื่นๆ ได้แลกเปลี่ยนความคิดและมุมมองต่างๆ ที่อาจจะมองข้ามไปในผลงานของเรา เพื่อที่จะนำไปปรับปรุงในผลงานชิ้นต่อๆไป และทำให้เราได้เห็นว่าพัฒนาการในผลงานของเรานั้นดีขึ้นหรือไม่ ประสบการณ์ที่ได้ตรงนี้นั้นมีคุณค่าและหาไม่ได้ถ้าเพียงแค่ทำผลงานไว้ดูเองเพียงคนเดียว (ส่วนรางวัลนั้นเป็นเหมือนผลพลอยได้ ถ้าเกิดเราได้รางวัล มันก็คงจะทำให้ความสุขนั้นมีมากขึ้นไปอีก) ดังนั้นการที่อยากจะพัฒนาตัวเองของผม จึงไม่ใช่เพียงเพราะอยากที่จะเอาชนะคนอื่น หรือต้องการให้ตัวเองนั้นเก่งกว่าใคร แต่คงเหมือนกับหลายๆคนที่อยากจะทำผลงานของตัวเองให้ดีให้สวยเหมือนกับคนอื่นๆที่เราเคยได้เห็นและชื่นชอบ และอยากจะทำได้แบบนั้นบ้าง จึงพยายามเอาชนะและแข่งขันกับตัวของเราเอง โดยศึกษาและเรียนรู้วิธีการทำงานจากคนอื่นๆ นำมาปรับใช้ให้เข้ากับวิธีการทำงานของเราและทดลองทำในสิ่งใหม่ๆด้วยตัวเอง เพื่อให้ก้าวข้ามสิ่งที่เราไม่เคยทำได้หรือทำมันให้ดีขึ้นกว่าเดิม ความสุขที่ได้จากการพยายามพัฒนาตัวเองนี้ จึงเป็นความสุขที่เกิดจากการเอาชนะและข้ามผ่านข้อจำกัดของตัวเองที่มีอยู่ไปได้

เหล่านี้เป็นเหตุผลที่ทำให้ผมยังคงรักในการทำโมเดลและพัฒนาการทำงานของตัวเองอยู่เสมอ รวมถึงอยากที่จะแบ่งปันประสบการณ์การทำงานของตัวเอง รวมไปถึงความรู้ที่ผมได้รับจากที่ต่างๆให้แก่ผู้อื่น เหมือนเช่นที่ผมทำอยู่ในบล็อกนี้ เพราะผมเชื่อว่า การแบ่งปันความรู้และประสบการณ์ในการทำงาน เป็นเหมือนรากฐานในการพัฒนาวงการโมเดลให้เป็นอยู่อย่างเช่นทุกวันนี้ และเป็นส่วนสำคัญที่ช่วยผลักดันให้งานอดิเรกประเภทนี้ (ทั้งโมเดลและมินิ) ค่อยๆเติบโตขึ้นเรื่อยๆทั่วโลก เพราะทุกคนนั้นช่วยกันแบ่งปัน และสอนเทคนิคในการทำงาน ในสื่อต่างๆ ทั้งแมคกาซีนหรืออินเตอร์เน็ท เป็นความรู้ที่ถูกเผยแพร่และแบ่งปันสืบต่อกันมาจากผู้ที่มีประสบการณ์ เพื่อให้ผู้คนทั่วโลกที่มีความสนใจในงานอดิเรกประเภทนี้ ได้เข้าใจถึงวิธีการทำงาน การทำสี แนวความคิดต่างๆในการสร้างผลงานของตัวเอง ให้ดีและรวดเร็วขึ้นได้กว่าการมานั่งทดลองด้วยตัวเองเพียงอย่างเดียว

สำหรับความสุขล่าสุข ที่ผมพึ่งได้รับเมื่อไม่นานมานี้ ได้มาจากการนำ Lord of The Gabrax เข้าร่วมประกวด BaneLegions 2012 Painting Contest ที่จัดโดย WAMP และได้รับรางวัลที่ 1 นี่เป็นรางวัลที่มีมูลค่ามากที่สุดเท่าที่ผมเคยได้มา ผมรู้สึกภูมิใจและเป็นเกียรติมากที่ได้รับรางวัลนี้ และต้องขอขอบคุณทาง WAMP และ BaneLegions ที่ร่วมกันจัดงานประกวดนี้ขึ้นมา รางวัลและประสบการณ์ที่ได้รับมานี้ จะเป็นอีกแรงผลักดันให้ผมพยายามทำผลงานมินิเอเจอร์ให้ดียิ่งๆขึ้นไป
ผลงานชิ้นนี้ได้ลงในหน้าปกของ Portal Magazine ที่จัดทำโดย WAMP เป็นแมคกาซีนออนไลน์รายเดือนเกี่ยวกับมินิเอเจอร์ ทั้งวิธีการทำงาน การทำสี รวมถึงข่าวสารต่างๆ ทำออกมาแล้ว 26 เล่ม คุณสามารถเข้าไปดูรายละเอียดของแมกกาซีนนี้ และดาวน์โหลดได้ฟรีที่นี่ครับ [HERE]

ทั้งหมดนี้คือ ความสุข ที่ผมได้รับจากการทำโมเดล ทำให้ผมรักในงานอดิเรกประเภทนี้ รู้สึกดีที่ได้รับความรู้จากคนอื่นๆและส่งต่อความรู้ที่ได้รับมาให้กับคนที่สนใจต่อๆไป และเพราะว่าการเรียนรู้นั้นไม่มีวันสิ้นสุด ผมจึงยังคงมีความสุขอยู่เสมอในการทำโมเดล และเป็นแรงผลักดันให้ยังคงทำต่อไปเรื่อยๆจนกว่าจะไม่มีแรงที่จะทำได้ Happy Modelling ครับทุกๆท่าน

No comments:

Post a Comment